From the moment you sit in the chair of the hair stylist, you are in the hands and in complete trust of the stylist.
This can be both daunting and exciting at the same time and rightly so. The stylist is in charge of your image!
Think back to the last time you ordered a meal in a restaurant. You scanned the menu, decided what you felt like, decided what you didn’t want or feel like, perhaps asked questions of the waiter?
I find going to the hairdresser much the same. I like to ask my clients questions and offer them a ‘menu’ of some sort or if you like – options.
I believe the client should talk, talk talk. And the hair stylist should LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN, then talk a little.
Here are my top 5 hair stylist secrets in getting the most out of my clients and giving them some ‘food for thought’.
I ask a heap more questions, but here’s my top 5.
1. What do you like most about your hair?
– This gives you freedom to tell your stylist exactly what you DO like about your hair. Be it the colour, or the cut or the curl etc. Be honest and thorough.
2. What do you least like or find most challenging about your hair?
– Again, this could be the colour, the cut, the curl, the thickness etc. Be honest and thorough.
3. How much time do you have to spend on your hair each day?
– Be honest. There is no point saying 30 minutes if you only have 10 minutes to do your hair. Your hair stylist will take into consideration your time and lifestyle in order to give you the best look that you can achieve yourself, outside of the salon.
4. What products/styling tools do you currently use on your hair?
– Telling the hair stylist what you use will help him or her to determine if you are using the right products and tools for your hair type AND your style.
5. Is there a different style you are wanting to work towards? Or are you happy with the current style?
– This gives you the opportunity to say you are sick of the same style and it also gives the hair stylist the opportunity to suggest some styles that would suit your hair type and face shape. It’s a win win.
Is your hair stylist asking you these secret questions? Next time you are in the chair, try it for yourself.
Let me know how you go. 🙂